Thursday 17 May 2012

The Cherry Tree, Jesmond

In order to celebrate a special occasion in a truly special way one must do something different from their ‘norm’ and for me this means indulging in a fancy meal.

I am the first to admit that posh places make me a bit nervous. 

I would much rather spend an evening in a get-your-own-utensil hodgepodge combination of tables & chairs establishment where my loud American voice blends into the background rather than visiting a restaurant with flatware perfectly placed on blindingly white linen where you don’t want to interrupt the smooth jazz tunes by speaking. 

I’m also happy to admit that I am the simpleton who likes to eat dessert with a teaspoon and not even touch the huge spoon lined up ‘just so’ above my plate.

Contrary to the above, I am also a very open-minded individual and would always give a place a try at least once if the opportunity presents itself. I reserve actual judgement until after I’ve indulged my taste buds.

So, when the chance to celebrate a very special occasion gave me the opportunity to try this little gem of a place in Newcastle who was I to say no?  I was looking forward to the indulgence, even if I was nervous about it. 

The Cherry Tree was a lovely restaurant and I’ll be damned if I wasn’t going to take photos of everything I tried. Why not? It was extremely photogenic food.
The beet root risotto was amazingly pink, with shaved bits of parmesan and hints of leafy green while the tempura shrimp was crispy and succulent all in one delicious bite.

The fish dish came elegantly stacked on top of the creamiest puree accompaniment and the marbled slice of coarse pate arrived with a flourish of salad and chutney. What fun it must be to create these dishes!

Of course, no meal would be complete without the most mouth-watering pudding of all time. This is my first choice when it comes to British desserts.

Drum roll please...... Sticky Toffee Pudding!

No comments:

Post a Comment